Common Support Services-Weather (CSS-Wx) makes weather data accessible through a set of common support services and broadly adopted data access and format standards from the International Standards Organization (ISO) and the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC). The services provide a mature basis for communicating time dependent, geo-referenced weather information.
Web Coverage Service (WCS)
- Disseminates gridded weather products in NetCDF4 format
- Filters and transforms large gridded data sets such as weather radar and satellite mosaics, upper level winds, icing and turbulence forecasts, etc.
Web Feature Service (WFS)
- Disseminates non-gridded weather products in Weather Information Exchange Model (WXXM XML) format
- Filters and transforms non-gridded data sets such as wind shear alerts, storm cell information, terminal aerodrome forecasts, etc.
Web Map Service (WMS) and Web Map Tiling Service (WMTS)
- Disseminate weather product imagery in variety of formats (e.g., JPEG, PNG, GIF, KML)
- Render digital weather data as single large image or as sets of tiled images
- Enable weather product consumption by modernized displays and mobile applications
- Permit geographical overlay of information from multiple domains