- Commercial Aviation Safety Team (CAST)
Founded in 1997, the Commercial Aviation Safety Team (CAST) has developed an integrated, data-driven strategy to reduce the commercial aviation fatality risk in the United States and promote new government and industry safety initiatives throughout the world. Learn more about the history of government and industry collaboration to improve aviation safety over the past few decades in the brochure, "Improving Aviation Safety (PDF)."
- Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (DOT PHMSA) Website:
PHMSA is the agency within DOT that is responsible for the rulemaking process and to propose and adopt changes to the regulations. PHMSA's website has a breadth of information for hazardous materials shippers. You can download publications, request a regulatory letter of interpretation, report and incident, lookup recently published rulemakings, and more on their website.
- DOT Transportation Safety Institute (TSI)
TSI is a non-profit within DOT that provides HAZMAT safety training for safety professionals in federal, state and local government agencies and the private industry.
- FAA Tech Center Reports
The FAA Tech Center is responsible for the identification, prioritization, planning, and general direction of cabin and fire safety research projects. On their website, you can access dangerous goods-related safety reports, videos, and various Safety Alerts for Operators (SAFOs), which contain important information and may include recommended action.
- Dangerous Goods Guidelines
- US Dept of Health and Human Services: Household product database
- International Air Transport Association (IATA)
IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (IATA DGR) is an industry organization's guidance document that provides information for the international transportation of dangerous goods by air. This is not an official regulatory document. The regulations contained within the IATA DGR are not permitted to be less restrictive than the law.
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
The broad principles governing the international transport of dangerous goods by air are contained in Annex 18 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation – The Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. The Technical Instructions amplify the basic provisions of Annex 18 and contain all of the detailed instructions necessary for the safe international transportation of dangerous goods by air.
- UN Dangerous Goods (UNECE)
The Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods is the United Nation's group that convenes to ensure international consistency for the harmonization of hazardous materials transportation. You can access all of the UN Working Papers, which are harmonization and regulatory change or amendment proposals. Many of the proposals adopted by the UN are harmonized in the ICAO TI.
Mobile Apps – Guidance
- HAZMAT Load Segregation Guide: Easy-to-review version of the "Segregation for Hazardous Materials" tables found in 49 CFR. (iOS only)
- DOT Chart 16: PHMSA's DOT Chart 16 displays the markings, labeling and placarding (in full-color) required by the Hazardous Materials Regulations, Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations. Note that this application is intended for general guidance only and should not be used to determine compliance with 49 CFR, Parts 100-185.
- ERG 2016: PHMSA's (U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration) 2016 Emergency Response Guidebook provides first responders with a go-to resource to help deal with dangerous goods accidents during the critical first 30 minutes.
Mobile App – Regulations
- oCFR: The U.S. DOT. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration's (PHMSA) mission is to protect people and the environment by advancing the safe transportation of energy and other hazardous materials that are essential to our daily lives. This app provides online access to PHMSA's Hazardous Materials Regulations.
- 49 CFR – Transportation, Tekk Innovations LLC: LawStack's complete Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) – Transportation, in your pocket.
Mobile App – Tools
- FlightStats: FlightStats is a free real-time flight status and airport tracking application for iPhone and iOS Watch.
- Units Plus Converter: Converts any unit of measurement as well as currency.
- Flightaware Flight Tracker: This app allows you to track the real-time flight status and tracking map of any commercial flight worldwide.
- NOAA CAMEO Chemicals: CAMEO Chemicals is a database of hazardous chemical datasheets that emergency responders and planners can use to get response recommendations and predict hazards (such as explosions or toxic fumes).