FAA-Recognized Community Based Organizations
Community Based Organizations (CBOs) that meet the statutory definition in Section 44809(h) of the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft, may apply for FAA recognition:
- Described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
- Exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
- Mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation;
- Provide a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation;
- Provide programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and
- Provide assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites
Recreational drone flyers must use FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines to meet the statutory requirement of Section 44809(a)(2). However, recreational flyers are not required to become members of a CBO.
FAA-recognized CBOs are eligible to apply for fixed sites, CBO sponsored events and FAA Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs).