Operators of Part 139 airports must provide aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) services during air carrier operations that require a Part 139 certificate. The guidance and resources below address ARFF training, ARFF vehicles, and other aviation fire and rescue requirements. More on Part 139 >>
- February 19, 2015: Department of Defense (DoD) Qualified Product Database (QPD)
Airport operators holding FAA Airport Operating Certificates can use the QPD to ensure any Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) they purchase conforms to MIL-F-24385.
- January 30, 2015: FEMA Emergency Management Institute Course V-0025 - Virtual Tabletop Exercise Series (VTTX) - Active Shooter (PDF)
When: February 17, 18, 19, 24*, and 25*, 2015 (* new dates)
Who: Community-based groups from local, tribal or state emergency management organizations with representation from all Emergency Management disciplines
What: The Virtual Tabletop Exercises (VTTX) will focus on an active shooter event taking place in your community, using historical events and recovery actions. The VTTX involves key personnel discussing simulated scenarios in an informal setting, and can be used to assess plans, policies, training, and procedures. This VTTX differs from other Tabletop exercises in that it will be conducted using Video-Teleconference (VTC) technology (not web based) and is intended to provide an opportunity for responders across the Nation to simultaneously participate in a hazard-specific facilitated discussion. Each exercise will be limited to approximately 10 locations. See also Active Shooter Preparedness on the Department of Homeland Security website.
- March 12, 2014: Access the 2012 Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG)
Part 139 requires first responders to have access to the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration's (PHMSA's) Emergency Response Guidebook. The ERG helps first responders deal with hazmat accidents during the critical first 30 minutes. On the PHMSA website, first responders can access a list of state emergency management coordinators to get a free copy of the ERG. The public can find out how to purchase a hardcopy or access a free electronic version. The site also explains how to access the new ERG mobile app.
- Receive email alerts when this page is updated!
Part 139 Airports and Requirements
- Part 139 Airport Certification Status List (including ARFF Index) (MS Excel)
- Part 139, Certification of Airports
ARFF and First Responder Training
- Ballistic Parachute System Familiarization (Module 4)
- Systems and Material Hazards for Rescuers (module 5)
- First Responder Safety at a Small Aircraft or Helicopter Accident
View the Complete List of Airport CertAlerts
|10017||Risks in Transporting Lithium Batteries in Cargo by Aircraft (PDF)|
|10016||Missing or Improper Seat Stops in Cessna Model (PDF)|
View the Complete List of SAFOs
|Conference Proceedings 47||Research on the Transmission of Disease in Airports and on Aircraft|
|Conference Proceedings 41||Interagency-Aviation Industry Collaboration on Planning for Pandemic Outbreaks|
|National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 525||Guidelines for Transportation Emergency Training Exercises|
Visit the TRB Website
- FAA Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Research Program
- Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Vehicle Rollover Study On-Line Reporting System
- Airport Safety Reports